An explicative video (in French!): interview at Dimension3 2012
Paris with the new 4K camera, and the colour chart!
france televisions 4k shortmovie shooting
Main domains studied in the project
- Ultra High Definition, new TV and cinema format : here
- HEVC, High Efficiency Video Coding, nvew video coding standard: here
Explanatory video (in French): interview Dimension3 2012
Partners involvement in 4EVER project : here
Subjective evaluation of quality
A main point in the project is perveived quality evaluation. Quality improvement est our studies main objective and will be evaluated by rigorous and standardized methods of subjective tests, with focus groups.
Goals: everywhere a better video quality of experience by
- generalizing HD content access in every situation (remote population, mobility)
- introducing Ultra High Definition at home and for live events in cinema theaters
- proving that HEVC (MPEG High Efficiency Video Coding) is the technology that will make both previous points feasible
4EVER, for Enhanced Video ExpeRience, project aims at researching, developing and promoting
a significant video Quality of Experience and putting premium audiovisual content access within everyone’s reach, for all populations and in any situation (homes, mobiles, cinemas) thanks to :
- HEVC (future MPEG/ITU standard) codec development;
- Ultra High Definition new format definition and qualification.
Whether it is High Definition on mobile and ADSL/terrestrial networks, or Ultra High Definition over fiber or ADSL/terrestrial, the 4EVER consortium considers the entire production and delivery chain, and aims visible quality gains for all viewers.
- complete HD format production / transmission HEVC chain: prove HEVC bitrate division by a factor of 2 (over ADSL, DTT, satellite, 3G/4G);
- complete Ultra-HD production / transmission HEVC chain: prove Ultra-HD possibility over fiber and DTT networks
Kick-off date : June 1st 2012.
Duration : 36 months
With support from :
- French Ministry of Industry,
- French Regions of Brittany, Ile-de-France and Provence-Alpes-Cote-d’Azur,
- Competitivity clusters « Images&Reseaux » (Brittany), « Cap Digital » (Ile-de-France) and « Solutions Communicantes Sécurisées” (Provence-Alpes-Cote-d’Azur).